This week we have Kira Barker joining us on Wicked Wednesdays!!!!! A little about her before we see what she’s working on and a little more about her personally!
Kira Barker has always enjoyed telling stories. It has kept her sane through high school and college, and has become a true passion since. A geek gamer girl herself, she feels at home reading sci-fi and fantasy as much as writing romance. She likes her plots gritty, her smut realistic, and doesn’t mind getting her hands dirty when it comes to research. When she’s not writing, she loves annoying her cats or cruising country roads on her motorcycle
1) Tell us five random facts about yourself.
I have a thing for fast cars and motorcycles. I’m a crafty girl; I can knit, sew, crochet, and spin my own yarn from wool. Nothing is as relaxing as annoying my cats. Some women might complain about not having anything to wear – I never have enough to read! I’d rather watch an action movie than a RomCom.
2) Why did you begin writing?
If I hadn’t, I would have gone insane. I’ve been writing for more than half of my life now.
3) What do you hope to achieve writing in the BDSM/erotic genre?
Provide readers with quality smut. Just because sex is oozing from the page doesn’t mean that you can’t have great characters and interesting plot twists.
4) Are you an active participant in the lifestyle or just an interested author?
Active participant for over a decade now. I identify as a switch.
5) What do you believe is the hardest part of the writing process, specifically related to the BDSM genre?
Writing realistically and not making people run for the hills. And describing what is going on in a scene so the reader still knows what is going on.
6) Who are your inspirations? Mentors? Or favorite authors?
I greatly admire Dossie Easton and Janet Hardy.
7) Do you write to entertain, to inform or both? How do you believe you accomplish this?
Both, although in a pinch I’ll go for entertain over inform – I’d write nonfiction if that was my main endeavor in life. I believe in portraying BDSM as realistically as possible, and I think that’s the way to go. It might alienate people who don’t understand the dynamics, but maybe my stories will make them re-think their prejudice?
8) Share a few of your “bucket list” items?
Finally get that tattoo I promised myself for my first published book. Travel to the US and Canada for the first time, and visit Iceland again. Fill an entire shelf with my paperbacks.
9) If you could have dinner with 3 people – past or present – who would they be and why?
My significant other, my best friend, and her husband. Because our dinner dates are always hilarious!
10) vanilla or chocolate? Chocolate
11) Snow or Beach? Beach
12) Sandals, boots or sneakers? Sandals
13) lazy Saturdays: naked, sweats or full blown dressed? Sweats in winter, naked in summer
14) favorite food? Salad & steak
15) Favorite color? Green
16) Favorite time of day? Dusk
17) Favorite season? Spring
18) Favorite pastime? Reading.
19) Favorite drink? Water.
20) Tell us about what you are working on now?
I’m right now writing the second book of my two-part erotic thriller series Hunter & Prey, and I have the sequel to my debut novel Caught in the Middle in the editing stage.
21) Anything you want to tell us that we didn’t cover?
I hope that in the coming years we will see more diversity in kinky erotica! As much fun as the typical male Dom / female sub pairing is, it’s only a fraction of the fun that is to be had. I’d love for erotica stories to represent that.