Today we have a 2-for-1! Welcome authors Humeira Kazmi and Shamila Ghyas to the Author Showcase
1) Tell us about yourself.
HUMEIRA: I can’t sum myself up! I can only say, read my writings and you may begin to understand me J
SHAMILA: This question feels like a microphone has been thrust in front of me. Ooh, the pressure! J My mind is blank now. Hmm, I like to think that I am a pretty laid back person and don’t really get too worked up about things. I like to read and am a bit of a dreamer. At least that’s what the voices in my head tell me. J
2) What do you do when you are not writing? Day job?
HUMEIRA: Writing is my day job. Other than that, I’m a mom, a wife, a homemaker.
SHAMILA: I have a 24 hour job. I am a mother and a homemaker with a lot of hobbies.
3) How did you choose the genre you write in?
HUMEIRA: It just happened for this book. The way Shami started the story, it just went into the fantasy genre. But I usually write mainstream fiction/romance.
SHAMILA: This (and anything supernatural) has been my favorite genre ever since I was a kid so it was but natural to go this way.
4) When did you start writing? About two years ago…on Facebook!
5) Biggest influences as a reader/writer?
HUMEIRA: I’m greatly inspired by M. M. Kaye’s descriptions, Sophie Kinsella’s writing style – she has a delicious flow, and of course, Tolkien’s Lord of the Ring is my bible for the fantasy genre.
SHAMILA: Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl and J.K. Rowling. There is no end to Enid Blyton’s imagination, and Roald Dahl makes it possible that you can write about just about anything. You like giraffes and big houses? Throw them together and make a story out of it. And J.K. Rowling is simply pure genius the way she links and ties everything up together. Stephen King is pretty good too when it comes to messing with your head. J
6) Is anything in your writing based on real life experiences or purely all imagination? Where do your ideas come from? Aoife & Demon is purely imagination. It’s pure fiction with little bits of pieces of “us” thrown in. Our ideas are purely based on imagination and discussions between the two of us. The characters may have traits similar to ours or to people we know, the places have glimpses of our culture but the story isn’t based on any real experiences at all.
7) Planner or Panster? Definitely Panster! Usually, even we don’t know where our chapters will end up when we start writing.
8) What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
HUMEIRA: In my early writing days, I was told my endings were too abrupt. And best compliment – my stories draw the reader in.
SHAMILA: Regarding Aoife and Demon, the feedback has been mostly positive. As an author, I do remember a teacher back in school who said my imagination was out of control – she didn’t say it as a compliment.
9) Tell us about your book (s). Favorite thing?
HUMEIRA: Demon! I eat, sleep, breathe him.
SHAMILA: This one is easy to answer – Demon! And Azure. He is a character that I think everyone would want in their real life. The book itself is fast paced read with a flow that will never bore you. The characters pull you in, from the start.
Hardest issue to overcome?
HUMEIRA: None actually. This was a very fun and easy ride for both of us. The only issue was perhaps finding more time to write.
SHAMILA: Again, echoing Humi here, finding time to write and handling the 12 hours difference between us.
10) Advice for aspiring writers? If you want to be a writer, write! Find that one friend who will nag, push, annoy and pester you to keep writing every time you fall back or get lazy – and then write.
11) Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans? Thank you for giving us a chance and all the support and love. We appreciate it, and we will not let you down in Book 2.
Links to the novel (s) that you would like to showcase: